Search This Blog

Monday 11 March 2013

(B)logging On


First entry, Star Date not really sure as we still use the Gregorian calendar. I have been tasked with creating an OLJ (Online Learning Journal for the uninformed) for INF506.

The first entry requirements to answer the questions:
(a) define what social networking is (in your own words);
(b) list what social networking technologies and sites you already use (for personal, work and study purposes); and
(c) describe what you expect to learn from completing INF506.

The short answers to these:
(a) something other people do;
(b) none or as close to none as has been possible (girlfriend forced capitulation is my secret shame); and
(c) enough to pass the course (kidding or am I?).

Doubtful that these will give me the passing grade required, I shall expand with much more wordy answers:
(a) Social Networking (SN) is the use of Web 2.0 technologies through various sites to reach out and communicate across the web in different ways and for different purposes.
For example (and to be read sarcastically), someone using YouTube is going for their Warhol promised 15 minutes of fame with the video of them singing bad folk ballads on their poorly tuned and poorly played acoustic guitar for the whole world to see while someone using facebook just desperately needs their “friends” to know that they loved the latest Batman movie (woot, woot! optional).
(b) I once had a facebook account (a shame to this day). I got this account to appease a girlfriend so she could put us in a relationship on it. I used it as often as most people use the gym membership they buy after making a New Year’s resolution to start exercising and eat healthier. YouTube is something I’ve used a bit in the past but always out of boredom and I always move on when I have something better to do.
That is my entire experience in the SN world to date which leads us to why someone like me would take a course like this.
(c) I want to see the uses for these in my future profession to reach out to patrons (customers, clients, whatever the current terminology may be for those that make use of libraries is).

No comments:

Post a Comment