Search This Blog

Monday 25 March 2013

I'd Rather Have Bird Flu


I read an interesting fact about podcasts today: The New Oxford American Dictionary chose “podcast” as its 2005 Word of the Year over persistent vegetative state and bird flu among others. I found this interesting because earlier in the day I forced myself to listen to an hour long podcast which almost put me into a persistent vegetative state.

I have never been a fan of radio and podcasts seem to offer everything that radio does without the music or ads. In other words, it is just endless DJ-like prattle! Honestly, I’d prefer a nasty dose of bird flu to another podcast that long and boring.

I do like when a transcript of a podcast is available. That way I can skip to the piece I want and ignore the rest. Wouldn’t it be great if people could just write their thoughts down for the consumption of others and those written thoughts could be screened through some sort of vetting and editorial process to insure they were worth public consumption in the first place? That way not just anybody could be published prattling on endlessly without a care whether what they have to say matters to anyone else ... just like I did right there!

Here is just a few podcasts that use to be unrecorded nerds talking:
http://galacticaquorum.com/ (Battlestar Galactica)
http://www.marvelnoise.com/ (Marvel Comics)
http://specficmedia.com/podcast/btw/ (Game of Thrones)
You'll have to forgive this particular nerd if he skips them all and just continues talking a large pile of smack at his local comic book shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment